By Luis López
During this quantity, Luis López sheds new gentle on details constitution and makes an important contribution to paintings on grammatical operations within the Minimalist application. via a cautious research of dislocations and concentration fronting in Romance, the writer exhibits that notions similar to 'topic' and 'focus', as often outlined, yield no predictions and proposes in its place a characteristic approach in response to the notions 'discourse anaphor' and 'contrast'. He provides a close version of syntax---information-structure interplay and argues that this interplay happens on the section point, with a privileged position for the sting of the part. extra, he investigates phenomena in regards to the syntax of gadgets in Romance and Germanic - accusative A, p-movement, clitic doubling, scrambling, item shift - and indicates that there are cross-linguistic correlations among syntactic configuration and specificity, self sustaining of discourse connectedness. the amount ends with a longer research of the syntax of dislocations in Romance.
Read or Download A Derivational Syntax for Information Structure PDF
Similar grammar books
This pioneering examine of pronouns takes into consideration greater than 250 languages. It contrasts own pronouns with pronouns equivalent to demonstratives, interrogatives, and kin and exhibits that they belong to 2 unique different types. formerly undiscovered features of the 2 different types of pronouns are brought and tested intimately from a cross-linguistic and practical point of view.
This quantity brings jointly papers initially provided at a seminar sequence on Speculative Grammar, common Grammar, and Philosophical research, held on the collage of Bologna in 1984. The seminars geared toward contemplating a variety of features of the interaction among linguistic theories at the one hand, and theories of that means and common sense at the different.
Paintings in morphology is usually focused on effective note formation and average inflection, in any occasion with open classification different types comparable to verbs, nouns, and adjectives, and their numerous types. The structure of Determiners, in contrast, is dedicated to a collection of functionality phrases: the closed category of determiners.
- A Practice Grammar of German (English and German Edition)
- Zero Syntax: Experiencers and Cascades (Current Studies in Linguistics)
- Remnant Raising and VSO Clausal Architecture: A Case Study of San Lucas Quiavini Zapotec (Studies in Natural Language and Linguistic Theory)
- Grammatica Italiana
Additional info for A Derivational Syntax for Information Structure
10 Incidentally, notice that wh-phrases also involve contrast in the sense discussed here (as pointed out by Vallduvı´ and Vilkuna 1998). A long tradition in the semantic literature (Hamblin 1973) has posited that the meaning of a wh-question is the set of propositions that would provide an answer for the question. Since the set of propositions is opened up by the wh-phrase, it should follow that wh-phrases are [+c]. At this point it is worthwhile to submit the notion of focus to scrutiny, as I have done with topic.
26) Ahir vaig cone`ixer el Joan i la Maria. #La Susana crec que e´s la no`via del Joan. This leads to the conclusion that the concept that is relevant for the analysis of sentence grammar is anaphoricity and not topicality. Moreover, Erteschik-Shir (1997) argues that topics must be referential if deWnite and speciWc if indeWnite. However, a CLLD or CLRD constituent can be an existential indeWnite, an adjective or a PP, as I showed above: ? 27) - Has comprat mobles? ’ -De cadires, encara no n’he comprat, pero de taules sı´.
29) A Barcelona no hi vaig des de fa temps. 30) N’hi han, de cadires. ’ To conclude, the ‘‘topic as old information’’ approach does not provide us with a useful conceptual framework to study dislocations: ‘‘topic things’’ can stay in situ while ‘‘non-topic things’’ can be dislocated. Clearly, we need a diVerent way of conceptualizing dislocations. As already hinted above, what makes a constituent dislocated is being anaphoric, a notion that is quite independent of ‘‘topicality,’’ ‘‘speciWcity,’’ ‘‘referentiality,’’ or some such.
A Derivational Syntax for Information Structure by Luis López